Under-19s defeat TNS to lift the NEWFA Cup

AIRBUS UK Broughton Under-19s claimed the North East Wales FA Cup with a 2-0 victory over holders The New Saints at a wet Brickfield Rangers FC ground on Friday night.

The first chance came the Wingmakers'  way in the fifth minute when Henry Carver ran down the right and into the box before having his low right foot shot saved by Saints' keeper Stewart Evans.

Airbus went close again in the 22nd-minute when Myles Hart’s free kick from 35 yards was well palmed past his right hand post by Evans for a corner.

Then, a minute later, Carver’s low left foot shot from 30 yards was superbly turned past his left hand post by Evans for a corner.

Saints’ first chance of note came in the 27th minute when sub Harrison Millington turned his man outside the box before having his low right foot shot fingertipped into the the side netting at his left hand post by Airbus keeper Ollie Parker.

The lively Carver ran down the right and into the right of the box before having his right foot shot saved at his left hand post by Evans. 

TNS suffered a further blow when the injured Conor Rogers was replaced by Liam Walker but still went close to breaking the deadlock two minutes before the break when a Dylan Jones’ right foot shot from 20-yards was somehow fumbled onto the roof of the net by Parker for a corner and from Ryan Kershaw’s flag kick on the right, Parker pushed the ball over the bar for another corner.

The first serious chance of the second half came the Wingmakers’ way in the 51st minute when Aaron Hassall’s corner from the right was only half cleared by the Saints defence to Josh Maldon, whose right foot shot from 25 yards was brilliantly tipped away to his right by Evans.

Airbus went even closer four minutes later when Hassall’s throw in from the left eventually fell to Connor Littler, whose right foot shot from the edge of the box hit the outside of Evans’ right hand post and went for a goal kick.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 66th minute when Carver won the ball in midfield and fed Noah Edwards, who cut the ball back across to Hassall who laid it back for Hart to send an exquisite right foot shot with the outside of his boot from 30 yards over Evans and into the net for a stunning strike.

Just two minutes later it was 2-0 when Hassall laid the ball back from the left outside the box to Carver whose low right foot shot was only half stopped by Evans and the ball slipped through his fingers into his left hand corner.

TNS were unlucky not to pull a goal back in the 87th minute when Rhys Cooper’s low left foot drive from some 35 yards out on the left took a deflection before the ball came back off Parker’s left hand post before being cleared.

But Lee Starkey's men held firm to lift the trophy.

Airbus: Ollie Parker, Noah Edwards, Lee Emberton, Dylan Thompson, Richard Tomassen, Myles Hart, Josh Maldon, Connor Littler, Henry Carver, Kris Turner, Aaron Hassall.
Subs: Tom Davies (not used), Jared Jones (for Carver 89), Liam Hughes (for Turner 89), Josh Place (Edwards 90).

TNS: Stewart Evans, Ryan Pryce, Jordan Wells, Ryan Kershaw, Rhys Cooper, Fisnik Hadjari, Taylor James, James Jones, Conor Rogers, Luke Douglas, Dylan Jones.  Subs: Greg Fletcher (GK) (not used), Ben Richards (for Walker 75), Mark Murch (not used), Harrison Millington (for Pryce 26), Liam Walker (for Rogers 39).

[Report by David Figg].