James Davies netted a late second half goal to rescue a point for Cefn Druids at The Hollingsworth Group Stadium.

Andy Owens rifled in to give Airbus the lead in the first period but a host of missed chances prevented the Bus from gaining three points.

The result sees Steve O’Shaughnessy’s side climb out of the relegation places as they ended a barren run of seven straight defeats in all competitions.

There was a noticeable confidence and authority to Airbus’ play in the opening stages. The midfield trio of Joe Palmer, George Hughes and Matty Sargent were controlling the match and helping the Wingmakers dominate possession.

An early injury blow for Druids saw Phillip Mooney replaced by Michael Pritchard six minutes in.

Soon after, Curtis Strong glided past his marker on the touchline before cutting back to Palmer. The 21-year-old blazed his effort over the crossbar.

With 17 minutes on the clock, Airbus deservedly broke the deadlock. Sargent slipped through Owens one-on-one. The number nine made no mistake slotting past Michael Jones to net his seventh league goal of the season.

Two minutes later, a Hughes free-kick picked out Sam Hart at the back post. The full-back found the target with his header but Jones collected comfortably.

Huw Griffiths’ men were on a four game winning run before the game in Flintshire and the quality of the visitors began to show.

A flurry of corners resulted in a few close scares for the Wingmakers, but the defence stood firm to preserve their clean sheet.

Aaron Simpson then struck a powerful volley from 30-yards-out on the verge of the break. Dave Roberts watched confidently as the ball sailed harmlessly wide.

With only one goal separating the two teams going into the second half, the balance of play shifted as the Ancients were in the ascendancy.

Penning Airbus back towards their own goal, the threat of a revival looked more likely. Ramirez Howarth nearly rewarded the visitors for their efforts, however his shot whistled past the post in the 55th minute.

The pendulum swung back in the hosts favour after the hour mark. Owens swivelled inside the area and forced a fine save from Jones in the 64th minute.

15 minutes later, the striker found himself on the end of an inch-perfect Strong cross. His header from six-yards-out ricocheted back off the bar to safety.

From the resulting passage of play, the returning Captain Stephen Tomassen curled with his right foot onto the woodwork as the Bus were once again so close to doubling their lead.

O’Shaughnessy’s troops were dealt a hammer blow in the 80th minute. Davies turned in the box and placed coolly into the bottom corner to equalise for Druids

Roberts was called into action in stoppage time as he saved at full stretch to deny a beautifully taken set-piece, and ensure the spoils were shared in the final fixture before Christmas.


The Teams

Airbus: Dave Roberts, Curtis Strong (James Hooper), Stephen Tomassen (C), Joe Palmer, Kristian Platt, George Hughes, Andy Owens (Ollie Lanceley), Sam Hart, George Peers (Jordan Evans), Liam Williams, Matty Sargent

Cefn Druids: Michael Jones, Naim Asran, Phillip Mooney (Michael Pritchard), Nathan Peate, James Davies, Aaron Simpson, Iwan Cartwright, Ramirez Howarth, Cody Ruberto, Josef Faux, Neil Ashton (C)