THE Wingmen surfed their way through severe flooding to Barry Island to fulfil this fixture with Barry Town United, but a strong performance was not quite enough to earn them any reward.

Featuring new signing Liam Williams at centre-half, Airbus started brightly with some controlled football forcing their hosts to defend. Following good work by Andy Owens Airbus won a corner in the 8th-minute but Sam Hart could only head into the side netting. From the resulting goal kick United broke quickly and a dangerous cross from the right was comfortably gathered by Lewis Hall.

This signalled a good spell for the home side who created a couple of chances including a shot from distance by Mo Touray which grazed an upright a feat he repeated some 10 minutes later.

For the remainder of the half the game fell into a set pattern, Barry allowing the Wingmen to probe for an opening whilst relying on the quick break to try and unlock the deadlock.
However, Airbus could have taken the lead just before half-time when Jordan Evans played in Jake Phillips whose excellent cross was headed disappointingly wide by Owens.

Airbus again started on the front foot and almost immediately scored when, following a free kick, a close range Owens effort was superbly saved by home keeper George Ratcliffe. The game then settled into a similar pattern as in the first half the home side again happy to disrupt any meaningful Airbus progress and raid quickly.

This paid dividends in the 58th minute when the lively Kayne McLaggon jinked his way into the Airbus box only to be fouled by Liam Williams. The striker picked himself up to convert the penalty and give the hosts the lead.

The Wingmen continued to play some good football and in the 71s-minute came perhaps the game’s pivotal moment when, following some good work by Curtis Strong, they should have been awarded a penalty of their own, as a cross into the home box was clearly handled by a Barry defender.

Despite this setback the visitors pressed forward and were once more unlucky when on 75 minutes Steve Tomassen crashed a header against the bar from a Matty Sargent free kick.
In the closing stages Airbus introduced George Peers and Brady McGilloway to try to secure the point they deserved, but another speedy break by the hosts in the 93rd-minute saw Drew Fahiya convert at the back post to make it 2-0 allowing them to return to the top of the league.

Speaking after the game Airbus manager Steve O’Shaughnessy said “I am proud of the lads, I thought we were excellent today, good play and a great work rate but a couple of decisions did not go our way. We have matched the league's top side and now given them two very good games. We need to carry this form into our next game”