TWO goals in the last 10 minutes from Liam O'Neill earned Airbus a thoroughly-deserved 4-2 win over Bangor City to lift the gloom at the Hollingsworth Group Stadium.

The Wingmakers had last tasted victory at Newtown on September 24 before embarking on a depressing run of 13 games without a win in all competitions, but this success brought a smile back to manager Andy Thomas and everyone at the club.

With Jonny Spittle sidelined after ankle surgery, Thomas has so far been thwarted in his search for defenders in the transfer window and went into the contest without a recognised centre back, while handing debuts to new signings Shaun Pearson in goal, Glenn Rule in midfield and Obi Anoruo up front.

The early exchanges were evenly contested, with Airbus carving a couple of half chances, but the game sprang to life after 26 minutes when a depp cross from Jamie Menagh was deflected by former Wingmaker Sam Hart and looped into the top corner beyond the grasp of keeper Connor Roberts.

City responded with Rodrigo Branco seeing his shot deflected just over the bar and, from the resulting flag kick, another ex-Airbus player Paul Connolly fired the equaliser.

A minute before the break, Daniel Nardiello headed home as Airbus failed to defend another corner but the lead lasted only a minute before Bailey Jackson scrambled an equaliser on the stroke of half time from a home corner.

Feeling a hamstring strain, Ashley Williams was replaced during the interval by O'Neill and the substitution eventually proved crucial. Airbus were creating the better chances, although Brayden Shaw drifted a shot just wide for City. Rule fired a shot narrowly wide from a good position before Pearson was forced to dive full stretch to keep out a Branco shot.

A corner caused mayhem in the City box with Anoruo and Tony Gray both going close before James Murphy looked certain to score, but send his shot wide of the far post.

Pearson again came to the rescue when he tipped a Shaw shot over the bar before O'Neill raced forward from midfield, holding-off a Danny Gosset challenge to fire into the back of the net.

And the 19-year-old former Crewe starlet put the game beyond City three minutes later, diving to head home at the back post from a corner.

Photos (top) Liam O'Neill stoops to head the fourth Airbus goal and (below) James Murphy goes close.

Airbus UK FC

Not all views expressed on this site are necessarily those of Airbus UK Broughton FC.

All images are copyrighted to their respective owners and may not be reproduced without permission.


JD Welsh Premier League
Football Association of Wales
North East Wales Football Association

Our address

Hollingsworth Group Stadium
Chester Road, Broughton,
Flintshire, CH4 0DR
Matchday only
01244 528317

Contact us

Administration 01244 522631
Secretary 07950 820334
Commercial 07586 747088
Press 07710 164016