THE Wingmakers ended their season with a defeat as a goal from David Brooks gave Port Talbot a 1-0 victory in south Wales.

Brooks fired Town ahead inside the final 10-minutes of a mild-mannered encounter as Scott Young's side prepare to mount a charge of their own for European qualification via the Play-Offs.

With the Steelmen already certain of fourth place and Airbus qualified for next season's UEFA Europa League, neither team looked over-committed to assume control of the game.

It was not until home keeper Steven Hall came out to block Steve Abbott's shot that either side threatened to score and the mundane first-half fizzled out with neither looking to force a change of tempo.

Sam Hart drove a shot wide as the Wingmakers got bodies forward for the first-time since the restart and minutes later Cortez Belle's low effort forced keeper Jamie Stephens to acrobatically tip the ball around the post as the two sides slowly began to show more aggression in the final third.

A number of misplaced passes in the Airbus midfield saw Port Talbot in the ascendency but the Steelmen were unable to find the breakthrough.

Chad Bond momentarily thought he had been awarded a penalty after being sent tumbling inside the area when he was flagged for being offside and Lloyd Grist's corner was fisted away by Stephens in the Airbus goal as Port Talbot sought the killer ball.

With 20 minutes remaining, the introduction of James Bloom saw Belle take up an more advanced position but Port Talbot suffered a scare when impressive youngster Zyiac Edwards nicely set up Hart, who saw his shot deflected wide.

And with the game seemingly heading towards a draw, Port Talbot grabbed the decisive goal as David Brooks found himself space to break into the box from the right, sending a low shot past the despairing Stephens.

The goal geed up both sides into abandoning the unforceful tempo that had immersed much of the game and the sudden shift almost benefited Airbus who came desperately close to replying through Abbott. 

The striker forced a superb reaction save from Hall, who somehow pushed his header from 10-yards behind for a corner.

The narrowest of margins saw Port Talbot take the victory but both teams were involved in scenes of celebration at the full-time whistle. 

The champagne flowed as Airbus celebrated the completion of a season in which they achieved European qualification for the first time in their history, whilst Young's squad look towards the Play-Offs in high spirits after completing a four-game unbeaten stretch.