AIRBUS go into the weekend as six-point leaders of the Welsh Premier League after a superb 3-2 away win at Prestatyn Town.

But they needed a late penalty to secure the spoils after surrendering a two-goal interval lead at Bastion Gardens.

Director of football Andy Preece named strike duo Steve Jones and Chris Simm on the bench but any fears that the chosen formation was defensively-minded were soon allayed.

Lewis Short cut the ball back from the byline for Ryan Wade, whose superb shot from just inside the box flew beyond keeper Dave Roberts into the far corner after just eight minutes.

On 28 minutes, a Tom Field corner was headed clear by Dave Hayes only as far as Jay Owen, who nodded the ball goalwards for Mike Roddy to head home.

It could well have been four or five by the break with Roberts making a superb one-handed save to keep out a Field free-kick. Debutant Owen headed narrowly wide from Field's cross and Short charged into the box only to be denied by the combined efforts of Hayes and Chris Davies. 

As the Wingmakers dominated, Prestatyn found it difficult to create chances with their only notable efforts a Ross Stephens header that was comfortably saved by James Coates and a Lee Hunt header just before the break that drew a great save from the keeper.

But the Seasiders looked a different proposition after the break and were level within 11 minutes.

Hunt was adjudged to have been tripped by Ian Kearney as he ran into the box and dusted himself down to reduce the arrears from the penalty spot.

Seven minutes later the equaliser arrived when a left wing cross from Andy Parkinson found Greg Stones unmarked and he fired home via a defender's deflection at the far post.

But, as the second period wore on, Airbus gradually regained their composure and the introduction of Simm and then Jones from the bench lent support to Chris Budrys, who had worked tirelessly upfront on his own.

Airbus now looked the side most likely to score and they were eventually rewarded in the last minute of normal time when Michael Parker handled Steve Abbott's goal-bound header and Field despatched the penalty to secure the three points.

Below: Team-mates celebrate with Tom Field after the winning penalty.