AIRBUS crashed out of the Welsh Cup to two late goals after more than matching their full-time opponents The New Saints for the majority of the game at Park Hall.

The New Saints
Airbus UK
Report by Andrew Lincoln

Michael Wilde finally broke the deadlock 10 minutes from time and Sam Finley rubbed salt in the wounds by notching the second goal.

Director of football Andy Preece said after the game that it was "scandalous" that Finley was even on the pitch after a blatant elbow on Ryan Wignall that went unpunished in last Saturday's 1-1 live TV league draw against the Saints.

And Finley today produced a flailing arm, this time in the face of Chris Budrys just past the half hour, which drew only a yellow card from referee Richard Harrington.

Both Chris Seargeant and Jamie Mullan forced Wingmakers' keeper James Coates into saves within the first few minutes but Airbus were far from overawed and Tom Field soon dispossessed Seargeant and set up Ryan Wade, who fired just wide of an upright.

Midway through the first half, home keeper Paul Harrison produced a superb fingertip save to deny Ian Kearney from a corner and, from the resulting flag kick, Aeron Edwards just managed to clear the ball off the goal line.

The visitors' goal survived intact when Coates could only parry a Kai Edwards shot and Wilde saw his close range effort rebound off the far post and into the keeper’s hands.

But soon afterwards, Sam Hart headed against the TNS crossbar from an outswinging corner as the Airmen were unfortunate to go in for the break with nothing to show for their efforts.

Wade scuffed his effort wide early in the second half when well-placed to open the scoring and TNS slowly started to take a grip on the game.

With 20 minutes left, Mullan picked out Kai Edwards at the back post but the defender headed wide from inside the six yard box.

But, with 10 minutes left, Mullan got down the outside of Lee Owens and crossed from the byline for Wilde to side-foot under Coates from the edge of the six yard box.

And, when Jason Oswell was unlucky to see his clearance rebound off Mullan, the ball fell kindly for Finley to run into the box and curl the clinching goal past Coates.

Photo (top): Sam Finley fires the second TNS goal and (below) home keeper Paul Harrison denies Ian Kearney.

Airbus UK FC

Not all views expressed on this site are necessarily those of Airbus UK Broughton FC.

All images are copyrighted to their respective owners and may not be reproduced without permission.


JD Welsh Premier League
Football Association of Wales
North East Wales Football Association

Our address

Hollingsworth Group Stadium
Chester Road, Broughton,
Flintshire, CH4 0DR
Matchday only
01244 528317

Contact us

Administration 01244 522631
Secretary 07950 820334
Commercial 07586 747088
Press 07710 164016