DESPITE again being hit by injuries, the Wingmakers battled to a deserved point away to Port Talbot Town at the GenQuip Stadium.

Steve Abbott, Sam Hart, Steve Jones, Lee Owens, Glenn Rule, Richie Partridge and new signing Ryan Wignall were all unavailable, while the Steelmen were also missing first team regulars Ashley Evans and Lee Surman.

Both teams looked to assert themselves early on and Airbus enjoyed the greater share of the possession with debutant centre-forward Andy Jones soon involved as he nipped the ball into the path of Tom Field, leaving keeper Steven Hall to make a swift collection.

But it was Port Talbot who carved the first opportunities, Lee John delivering a cross-field pass to David Brooks, who charged forward into space before threatening with a swerving shot.

Airbus would remain an aerial threat for the duration of the afternoon and Chris Budrys shaved the crossbar with a header from Field's corner.

With the two sides still sizing the other up, the Steelmen spurned their best chance of the half when Rhys Griffiths played Martin Rose in on goal, but the striker's first-touch proved to be too heavy as he stretched and pulled his shot wide.

The hosts would live to regret failing their early opportunities when Michael Roddy reacted quickest to a poorly defended loose ball inside the Town goalmouth, to smash a left-footed half-volley past Hall on 25 minutes.

Lewis Harling found space inside the area to steer another attempt wide with the goal beckoning to leave the Blues narrowly trailing at the break.

Talbot came out with renewed vigour in the second-half and dominated second-half proceedings, looking assured in possession and camping themselves almost exclusively in the Airbus half.

Brooks bore the brunt of some mounting Airbus frustration with Roddy entering the book for an untimely challenge on the winger before Ryan Wade's name quickly followed for dissent after clattering John.

And it was John's resulting free-kick which led to Port Talbot restoring parity. Hit 40-yards out from goal, his delivery was guided past keeper James Coates by Leigh De-Vulgt's glancing header, giving Port Talbot a well-earned equaliser.

In retaliation to conceding, the Wingmakers responded well and came dangerously close to retaking the lead when Ian Kearney saw his goalbound downward header pushed behind by Hall.

Brooks saw his low-drive blocked after being set free from a splitting cross-field ball from John and sub Jake Parry quickly made his mark, drifting in a weighted cross from the right which was gratefully knocked clear by the now weary Airbus defence.

But the Wingmakers ended strongly by winning successive corners and Phil Bolland spurned a gift-wrapped chance to steal a result by sending a point-blank header straight at Hall from just yards out to bring a well contested encounter to a close.

Airbus UK FC

Not all views expressed on this site are necessarily those of Airbus UK Broughton FC.

All images are copyrighted to their respective owners and may not be reproduced without permission.


JD Welsh Premier League
Football Association of Wales
North East Wales Football Association

Our address

Hollingsworth Group Stadium
Chester Road, Broughton,
Flintshire, CH4 0DR
Matchday only
01244 528317

Contact us

Administration 01244 522631
Secretary 07950 820334
Commercial 07586 747088
Press 07710 164016