Niall Watson opened his account for the Wingmakers as Airbus drew 1-1 against Cardiff Met at a blustery Cycuaned Campus.

Watson broke the deadlock in first half stoppage time, before Mael Davies equalised for the Archers after the break.

Steve O'Shaughnessy's side now have a two week break until they face fellow relegation fighting Carmarthen Town.

Hurling wind in the Welsh Capital hindered the quality of football on display in the opening stages. There was a clear plan by the Bus to utilise the conditions, searching for a ball over the top for Andy Owens and the quick-footed Watson.

15 minutes in, Nathan Woolfe whipped in a dangerous free-kick from out wide. Kristian Platt leaped highest in the box but headed harmlessly over as he searched for a goal in three consecutive matches.

Jake Phillips' long throws were causing problems for the Met backline and goalkeeper William Fuller, who looked troubled under the barrage by the Welsh full-back.

Joe Palmer had an opportunity to fire a strike on target on the edge of the box. Christian Edwards men intercepted and raced away on a blistering counter-attack. With Airbus outnumbered with only Sam Hart behind the ball, the left back produced a last ditch block to deny William Evans a certain opener.

With seconds remaining in the first period, Airbus took the lead. Watson found himself in the right place in the area. The January signing then hit with his weaker left foot into the bottom corner to spark jubilant scenes of celebration by the youngster.

The hosts started the second half in the ascendency. Their pressure was rewarded in the 48th minute when Davies drilled his effort inside the near post to level the scoring.

With confidence flowing through last season's Play Off winners, Ollie Byrne was kept busy in goal for the Bus, but showed presence and great shot stopping skills, most notably tipping an Eliot Evans shot away to safety.

Despite Met maintaining a territorial advantage, O'Shaughnessy's troops appeared threatening on the counter. Hart turned over possession with 75 minutes on the clock. The 29-year-old powered forward before picking out Ryan Edwards who forced an eye-catching save by Fuller.

A flurry of substitutions included the introduction of in-form academy graduate Oli Lanceley. The striker helped the Wingmakers push forward with great hold up play in his cameo performance.

With both teams unable to create any more goalscoring opportunities, referee Iwan Griffith's final whistle signalled a first point in Phase Two for Airbus.


Airbus: Byrne (GK), Phillips, Platt, Tomassen (C), Hart, R.Edwards (Lanceley 87'), Palmer, Hughes, Woolfe (D.Edwards 83'), Watson, Owens

Cardiff Met: Fuller (GK), Rees, McCarthy (C) (Warman 78'), Lewis, Davies, E.Evans, Baker, Evans, Corsby, Edwards, J.Evans