Jamie Reed netted a brace to inspire Cefn Druids to a slender 3-2 victory at The Hollingsworth Group Stadium.

Airbus Captain Stephen Tomassen was shown a straight red for fouling the goal-bound James Davies midway through the first half.

Joe Palmer fired Airbus ahead, before Reed’s leveller and a Davies goal saw the Ancients lead at the break.

Kristian Platt equalised for the Bus in the second period with a spectacular free-kick, only for Reed to grab the winner on the hour.

Steve O’Shaughnessy’s side visit Aberystwyth Town next Friday - a venue where the Wingmakers earned three points back in September.

After a two week lay-off from match action, there was an intensity and positivity to Airbus’ approach early on. Nathan Woolfe whipped in a menacing cross four minutes in. Ancients keeper Michael Jones fumbled but his defence cleared to safety.

Deliveries from wide areas seemed to be the order of the day for the hosts. Jake Phillips worked an angle before picking out January recruit Craig Rogers. He rose highest in the box, but his mistimed header trickled wide.

A swift Druids counter-attack resulted in Davies racing through one-on-one in the 25thminute. Tomassen clipped the forward’s ankle and was dismissed by referee Nicholas Pratt who showed no hesitation in brandishing the red card.

However, the man advantage didn’t change the pattern of the game and the Bus were rewarded with a breakthrough in the 38thminute.

Phillips’ corner picked out Andy Owens who thundered against the post with his head. Palmer reacted quickest to the rebound and poached home from six yards.

Two minutes later, Reed swivelled in the area and slotted into the bottom corner to level.

Davies then completed the turnaround on the verge of half time. The number 11 glanced a header past debutant Oliver Byrne, to complete an excellent five minutes of football by Druids.

There were few goalscoring opportunities in the opening stages of the second 45. George Hughes unleashed a venomous hit from distance which was collected comfortably by Jones, followed by Phillips failing to find the finish after latching onto an Owens flick on.

However, 58 minutes in and Airbus equalised. Platt rifled a free-kick from 25-yards-out over the wall. Despite Jones being at full stretch, the ball nestled into the top left corner to spark scenes of jubilation.

Excitement was short lived for the Wingmakers. Reed clinched his brace with a curling low strike to restore the lead.

The Ancients third was the catalyst for a period of sustained pressure by caretaker manager Jayson Starkey’s men. Ramirez Howarth smashed the underside of the crossbar, coming inches away from sealing an away win.

With five minutes remaining, Phillips sent in a looping ball which evaded all and found the net. The goal was controversially ruled out for an infringement by Owens on Jones as Druids hung on to triumph.


Airbus: Byrne (GK), McGilloway, Tomassen (C), Palmer, Platt, Edwards (Watson 73’), Hughes, Owens, Phillips, Woolfe (Hart 49’), Rogers

Cefn Druids: Jones (GK), Mooney, Peate, Davies, Simpson, Howarth, Faux (Edge 82’), Ashton (C), Edwards, Brazel (Cartwright 85'), Reed