The Wingmakers rescued a point against fellow JD Cymru Premier strugglers Carmarthen at Richmond Park.

Liam Williams’ ice-cool finish shortly after half time earned a 2-2 draw for the Bus following a disappointing opening.

A rampant start by the hosts saw Luke Bowen fire a brace inside 40 minutes, before Alex Darlington’s beauty halved the deficit on the verge of the break.

The result means Steve O’Shaughnessy’s side remain at the bottom of the table with a three point gap to safety.

In wet and windy conditions, Kristian O’Leary’s men raced out of the traps. With just five minutes on the clock, Bowen broke the deadlock. The forward charged through on goal and chipped past the advancing Dave Roberts to give the Old Gold an early lead.

The Wingmakers responded well to the set-back. George Peers waltzed clear of the Carmarthen midfield and unleashed a strike which Lee Idzi collected comfortably.

All the possession was with the visitors, but the counter-attacking abilities of the home side was a constant threat.

On one of these marauding breakaways, the ball eventually found Lewis Harling on the edge of the area. The midfielder’s powerful hit whistled past the post.

In the 38th minute, Bowen grabbed his second of the match. Turning sharply in the box, the 31-year-old rifled into the roof of the net.

With the challenge of claiming a positive result appearing more and more unattainable for Airbus, Darlington picked the ball up 30-yards from goal in the 44th minute. He shifted it out of his feet and curled into the top corner.

The second half started well for the Wingmakers. An air of confidence was flowing through the team with attacks being sustained for long periods.

Peers used his blistering pace to be one-on-one with Idzi in the 53rd minute. The youngster slipped the ball past the keeper, but it trickled the wrong side of the woodwork.

However, two minutes later and the Bus were back level. Jake Phillips picked out Williams unmarked from a corner. The towering defender coolly placed home with his weaker left-foot. 

Roberts was called into action with 63 minutes played and produced an excellent reflex save from point blank range to deny Jordan Vickers.

There was an injury blow for Airbus soon after when debutant Chris Rogers suffered a groin strain and was forced off.

His replacement James Hooper almost made an instant impact on proceedings. Cutting in on his favoured right-foot from the left, the winger’s guided shot was heading for the top corner but Idzi palmed behind at full stretch.

With little time remaining, Peers found himself ahead of his marker at the back post. Airbus’ number 15 was unable to find the necessary connection, ensuring the spoils would be shared in South Wales.

The Teams:

Carmarthen: Idzi, Jones (Rocke), Surman, Carroll, Walters, Bowen, Harling, Vickers, Thomas, Woodford, Robbins

Airbus: Roberts, McGilloway, Platt, Hughes, Owens, Phillips, Peers (Hickey), Payne, Williams, Rogers (Hooper), Darlington (Lanceley)