CARDIFF Met extracted revenge for their opening day defeat in Broughton with a 2-0 victory over Airbus at the Cyncoed Campus.

The Wingmakers could have few complaints about the outcome with the hosts hitting the woodwork four times alongside their two goals.

Airbus went into the game without three regular members of their back four, with Paul Connolly and Matty McGinn injured and Jonny Spittle suspended, but welcomed back TNS loanee Tom Matthews from his injury spell.

There was little to choose between the sides in an evenly-contested first half hour. Kyle McCarthy interchanged passes down the left with Jordan Lam, who got past a challenge from Ryan Edwards to draw a good save from Ryan Neild.

Two Charlie Corsby shots were comfortably saved by Neild before McCarthy got the better of Ryan J Edwards to cross from the left for Adam Roscrow to head home.

The Airbus goal somehow survived an Elliott Evans free-kick which hit the foot of the near post, Neild parried the follow-up shot from Will Evans and Roscrow drove the rebound wide.

Five minutes after the break, the visitors fell further behind when Lam and Ben Bowler combined to set-up Corsby, who found the net with a right-foot finish from just inside the box.

Ryan Wignall drove an 18-yarder straight at keeper Will Fuller from a Ryan Edwards squared pass before Joel Letori fed Elliott Evans, who hit the bar from with a shot from just inside the box.

From a wide Ryan Fraughan corner, Wignall drew an excellent save from Fuller but, from the breakaway, Met could have added a third when Corsby's teasing cross just eluded Lam at the back post.

Will Evans hit bar after Airbus failed to clear a free-kick and McCarthy also found the woodwork with a curling free-kick from 25-yards.

"We haven't got one fit centre-half at the moment, our captain Paul Connolly pulled up on Thursday, Jonny Spittle's out, Matty McGinn's got a shoulder injury, so it's tough at the moment," bemoaned manager Andrew Thomas.

"They played well to be fair but would they have scored the goals if our centre halves had been fit? I don't think so, but we didn't take any chances, we got in good areas but never really threatened in the final third."

Photo: Tom Matthews, Bailey Jackson and Jake Hulley attack a cross [Graham Haines].