AIRBUS crashed to a second consecutive league defeat as they were beaten 1-0 by Bangor City at the Hollingsworth Group Stadium.

Predictably there was a lively end-to-end opening with neither side shirking a challenge. Despite both teams showing plenty of attacking intent – particularly out wide – there were few clear-cut opportunities created in the opening 20 minutes.

Anthony Miley flicked a header wide from a corner for the visitors on 25 minutes of what has a very even game. Three minutes later Wingmakers midfielder Mike Roddy went into the book for a challenge on Michael Johnston, followed immediately by Ian Kearney for dissent.

Tom Field was the third Airbus player to receive a yellow card in the space of five minutes - also for dissent, shortly after a Les Davies header was comfortably held by Airbus goalkeeper James Coates. On 41 minutes Jamie Petrie dragged a shot across the face of goal for the away side which was as close as anyone had come to opening the scoring in the first-half.

Just before the break Bangor’s Michael Johnston was booked for a trip as Airbus broke. Despite the lack of chances it had been an absorbing half with both teams playing some good football. The Wingmakers made a change at the interval with Steve Abbott on in place of Tom Field.

Within five minutes of the second-half starting Abbott headed narrowly wide for Airbus following a spell of Bangor possession. On 55 minutes Bangor goalkeeper Lee Idzi did well to stop from Lewis Short and put Abbott off from firing in the rebound as Airbus enjoyed a spell of pressure.

On 65 minutes Glenn Rule lofted a free-kick to the far-post which was was met by Steve Abbott - but he could not keep his effort low enough to hit the target. At the other end Sion Edwards went close for Bangor with a low shot just wide of the far-post, as the game opened up even more.

A minute later Bangor took the lead when a slide-rule pass from Chris Jones put Jamie Petrie in on goal. With only Coates to beat he found the far corner of the net with a low shot to put the visitors 1-0 up. Two minutes later another trip saw Bangor’s Rob Jones saw him pick up a booking.

The Wingmakers responded to going behind by driving forward only to be met by a well-organised Bangor defence. With quarter of an hour to go Airbus made a double substitution with Phil Bolland replacing Chris Budrys, and Ritchie Partridge coming on in place of Mike Roddy.

With just over five minutes to go Bangor replaced Chris Jones with Jamie McDaid as they weathered the Airbus storm. As the game entered the last few minutes’ frustrations boiled over, and a brawl erupted resulting in Phil Bolland and Bangor’s Les Davies receiving red cards. 

As the game moved into added time Airbus midfielder James Owen was shown a red card as the game disintegrated completely – the Wingmakers finishing with nine men. That was the last real action of the game as Bangor held out for their win.

Below: Bangor keeper Lee Idzi makes a save from Steve Abbott.