Airbus UK Broughton Football Club

 The Wingmakers - Match Report 2009/10



Airbus UK 2-2 Rhyl (August 21 2009)  

There's a distinct possibility Airbus will go through the whole season unbeaten, drawing every game 2-2, this being the 3rd successive scoreline of that in the three opening matches. This one was a rousing affair, Rhyl showing a lot more composure compared to their bully-boy tactics of the past, steadily working away at the hard-worked Airbus defence, finally getting their admitted just reward with a late point-grabber.  

After a lively opening and a few tasty tackles, a Rhyl free kick bounced into the Airbus area to be calmly headed home at the far post by Lee Hunt, punishment of terribly lax defending & a disastrous start for the Bus with only 4' gone. Airbus then set about a recovery mission and for the next quarter hour gathered themselves and wrested control off Rhyl, getting the equaliser on 18' as Marc Lloyd-Williams pounced on a ball that fell kindly for him with loads of space to hammer it home for 1-1.

The swingometer then went the other way as Rhyl put the pressure on. Gareth Owen shows he still has bags of skill, riding two fierce tackles on a mazy left-hand run, eventually foiled by the legs of Kristian Rogers. Then Lee Hunt found the ball at his feet with an open goal, hammering it badly over with a poor miss for a man of his stature. Rhyl were now well on top but Airbus were showing their mettle and battling for all they were worth. In the last five minutes and out of the blue they went ahead; Ryan Edwards clipped to Carl Owen who instead of playing back fired in a lovely shot, bringing a great tip-over off Pritchard. From Cooky's corner Rhys Roberts scored his first for the club, smashing his header into the net for 2-1!!!!!!

The second half saw Rhyl working away in search of an equaliser, met by stubborn Airbus resistance, seemingly not overawed by anyone at the moment. Still, they rode their luck, Holden seizing on  a mistake 5' in, Rogers saving well and George Horan heading onto the top of the bar and over. While Rhyl were cranking up the pressure Airbus were poised to hit them in unguarded moments and Danny Desormeaux suddenly burst into action running onto a through ball with great control, two touches and a slide through to Jiws, just off target with a first-time flash. The game was disorganised but enthralling, a 100% battling struggle and of good spirit.

Airbus had one more  great chance, Carl Owen picking up a loose ball from Pritchard, racing in & in but firing wide and as Rhyl continued to press it became a case of deja-vu from the opening weekend. With the minutes ticking away a simple lob over the defence found the head of Hunt & in went the leveller. Four minutes into added time and a long loose Lilywhite looper fell into the back-pedalling Rogers' chest for relieved gasps all round & ref Jones blew up with honours even.

Airbus Line up.
Kristian Rogers, Ryan Edwards, Giovanni Feliciello, Matthew Woodward, Gareth Sudlow, Rhys Roberts, Ashley Williams, Danny Desormeaux, Carl Owen, Mark Lloyd-Williams, Matthew Cook.

Subs: Mark Allen, James McIntosh, Jack Abraham, Paul McManus, George Cowell.

Report by Dave Sargent


© 2008 Anters & Airbus UK Broughton FC

site stats