Airbus UK Broughton Football Club

 The Wingmakers - Match Report 2009/10



Airbus UK Broughton 1-5 Bangor City (March 24 2010)

One of those freaky nights when nothing went right. Not so much a hammering more a bewildering ninety minutes best forgotten.
Airbus were three down in the first quarter hour and it's difficult for any team to come back from that. Add hitting the woodwork twice, losing 'keeper Kristian Rogers to a bad facial injury and Jamie Smith to a dislocated ankle as well, it just seemed God was a Bangor fan.
The first goal was a calamity and set the scene for the evening. An ill-judged back pass by Giovanni Feliciello, a wild swing by Rogers that missed the ball completely and a sweep in by Jamie Reed. A minute later a right wing cross was spectacularly driven in by Craig Garside from outside the box. Gio could have made amends but fizzed one over the bar but Bangor's early pressure told once more as Reed hooked another cross right into the back of the net. Airbus weren't in it and double figures looked on the cards. Thankfully, however, they knuckled down to their impossible task and had two chances to pull things back. Tom Rowlands curled over and Rollo won the ball at the edge of the area to curl a cross onto Marc Lloyd-Williams but a straight forward header was put over the bar from a relatively easy chance. Rogers tipped a difficult deflection over and the half ended with a triple set of chances for The 'Bus. First, James McIntosh won the ball for Carl Owen to drive against the post with Smith well beaten. Then in time added on, Carlo fired another in,  tipped over and immediately sent a header onto the top of the bar from Gio's corner. The 'Bus seemed back in it and who knows what would have happened if only one of those had gone in?
Bangor stiffened up into the second half and stifled the game a bit to protect their advantage. The tide turned firmly in their favour as Kris Rogers went down at feet to make a brave save, breaking his jaw, getting himself knocked out in the process and providing some work for his dentist. As he left on a stretcher with an oxygen mask Macca took over in goal. The 'Bus had one chance just after, as they went on a brief but desperate offensive, Rollo heading over from in front of goal. The Citizens scored again, though, a seemingly stylishly fine punch out from Macca falling only towards Eddie Jebb who simply ran on to it to peremptorily unleash an unstoppable drive that flew in off the underside of the bar to make scoring great goals look easy. As if things weren't bad enough Smudger was helped off shortly after, unable to continue with a foot injury, leaving the beleaguered Blues down to ten men. The deserved consolation arrived with less than ten minutes to go, Carl Owen picking up a misdirected header to stride in on goal and calmly  tuck past Smith.  That wasn't the end of it, though, Reed getting a fortunate third by the thickness of his laces to convert a Sion Edwards drive off another Airbus clearance. Hey-ho.

Airbus UK Broughton

Kristian Rogers (Gareth Sudlow 61'), Jamie Smith, Rhys Roberts, Matty Woodward (Josh Johnson 23'), Mark Allen, Danny Desormeaux, Tom Rowlands, Ashley Williams, Carl Owen, Mark Lloyd-Williams (James McIntosh 36'), Giovanni Feliciello.

Red Cards: None
Yellow Cards:
Lloyd-Williams 24' Allen 75'

Attendance: 241

Report by Dave Sargent

© 2008 Anters & Airbus UK Broughton FC Dynamic IP Tracing

site stats