Airbus UK Broughton Football Club
 The Wingmakers - November 2008 Welsh Premier news



Leaders enjoy Goal Routs

Rhyl 7-1 Welshpool Rhyl went back to the top of the Principality Welsh Premier with a thumping win over Welshpool. Matty Williams grabbed a hat-trick with Gareth Owen, Greg Stones, Gareth Wilson and Josh Johnson scoring the others. John Boardman scored a consolation for Welshpool late on.

Aberystwyth 3-1 Caernarfon
Chris Venables, Stuart Fraser and Andy Evans were on the score-sheet as Aberystwyth heaped more misery on Caernarfon. Mike Garrity scored the visitors' goal at Park Avenue.

Airbus 1-1 Port Talbot
Tom Rowlands cancelled out James Burgin's first half goal as the two struggling sides fought out a draw.

Caersws 2-6 The New Saints
The Saints kept up the pressure on the top two with a crushing win over Caersws. They were 5 goals up at the break as Michael Wilde, Alex Darlington, Jamie Wood and John McKenna had the visitors 4-0 up inside 23 minutes before John Toner added another before the break. Craig Williams completed the rout a minute after the re-start. The Bluebirds scored two consolation goals late on.

Carmarthen 1-0 Prestatyn
Danny Thomas struck in the 70th minute to secure the win for the Old Gold.

Gap Connah's Quay 3-3 Newtown
Craig Williams' 89th minute penalty rescued a point for Newtown who were 2-0 up after four minutes through Mark Griffiths and Gavin Cadwallader. Peter Doran's brace and Adam Dickinson were the scorers for Quay in the six-goal thriller.

Haverfordwest 4-2 Porthmadog
A Ryan Davies own goal and Luke Bowen's 79th-minute strike earned Haverfordwest the three points. Nicky Woodrow's 15th-minute penalty opened the scoring for the hosts before Gareth Parry levelled for Port before the break. Jack Christopher added a second for County with Davies' own goal making it three before Parry added his second. Bowen sealed the win with 11 minutes to go.

November 30th

Wayne Davie back at Port Talbot

Wayne Davies has returned to the GenQuip Stadium as Caretaker Manager of Port Talbot Town following the sacking of Nicky Tucker last Weekend.

Port Talbot Town Chairman Andrew Edwards confirmed the Temporary Appointment this afternoon to the League at their Board Meeting, but added that there would be a Full-Time appointment in the near future.

Davies stepped down from his post in April 2007 due to increasing business commitments and was replaced by ex-Wales Semi-Professional Team manager Tony Pennock. Davies first took charge of the Steelmen in the summer of 2004 and enjoyed a successful period of increasing success and achievement at the club.

In 2005-2006 Port Talbot finished fifth place in the Welsh Premier League, their highest ever finish, and also reached the semi-final of the Welsh Cup and the final of the Loosemores League Cup. In 2006/07, the side made headline news with a victory over Swansea City in the Quarter Final of the FAW Premier Cup as the young and talented team built by Davies in his three seasons in charge raised the profile of the club on and off the field.

At the time of Davies' departure, Edwards said, "It is disappointing that Wayne Davies has decided to step down from his position at the club but I fully understand his reasons and we are indebted to the contribution he has made to this football club during his time in charge."

November 27th

Caernarfon deducted Three Points by League Board

Caernarfon Town have been deducted three points by the Principality Welsh Premier League Board for fielding an ineligible player in their Opening Day defeat to Caersws on 16th August. The club has escaped a further fine though, having already been fined by the Football Association of Wales.

Left-Back Adam Howard played for the Canaries in the 1-0 reverse at the Recreation Ground, but his Registration from previous club Southport had not been submitted to the FAW.

The FAW subsequently charged the club for fielding an ineligible Player and they were fined. Caernarfon unsuccessfully appealed against the decision and the FAW then referred the case to the Welsh Premier League. The League then charged the club for the offence and at today's Welsh Premier League Board Meeting in Rhayader, the Canaries were deducted three points under Rule 5 (h) of the Competition Rules, which states,

Playing an Ineligible Player

Any club playing an ineligible player will have up to three points, deducted from its record and be liable for a fine not exceeding £500.00

Caernarfon do have the Rights to Appeal against the Points Deduction, which must be within ten days of written notice of the decision.

Caernarfon are already bottom of the Table, with just home wins over fellow strugglers, NEWI Cefn Druids and Neath FC and an away draw at Haverfordwest to their name. They are now back down to four points in the League table, which is a further four adrift of Neath and the Druids.

November 26th

Neath half way to league cup final

Neath are half way to reaching their first cup final in the top flight with a 2-0 home win over The New Saints.

Andy Hill opened the scoring in the 9th minute, and Kerry Morgan on loan from Swansea City doubled the home sides lead on 79 mins, to give the Eagles a  2 goal Cushing to take to Oswestry in the 2nd leg.

In the long awaited quarter final showdown between Aberystwyth and Caersws at Park Avenue, it was a 4-1 romp for the the home side Aber lead at half time 2-0 through a Kristian James and Luke Sherbon penalty, and Aneurin Thomas made it 3-0 on 48 minutes and Andy Evans sealed victory in the 54 min to make it 4-0. Caersws got a consolation goal in the 75th minute from Chris Melia.

November 25th

TNS want Euro ties in Oswestry

The New Saints have emphasised that a new stand at their Park Hall stadium remains a priority to enable them to play European ties there.

The success of the club's move from Llansantffraid to Oswestry means they are still playing "catch-up", according to director Jonathan Martin.

"I know some supporters feel frustrated by the facilities, but the plans are in place," he told BBC Radio Shropshire.

"We've emphasised this at fans' forums, but you can't do everything overnight."

The Saints were unable to stage this season's Uefa Cup first qualifying round tie with Suduva at Park Hall as competition rules demand seating for 1,000 supporters, and the club had to switch the game to Newtown.

The club's aim is still to stage European football in Oswestry for the first time next season.

November 20th

Wales prop up group without any points

WALES U23 semi-professionals ended their international Challenge Trophy campaign in disappointing fashion at Llanelli’s Stebonheath Park last night as Finland picked up their first tournament win.

Having already lost to England and Italy, Wales finished bottom of the group, without a point.

The hosts were distinctly second best in the first half as Finland dominated possession and took the lead just before half-time.

Tampere United striker Tomi Petrescu netted what proved to be the match-winner after Haverfordwest keeper Lee Idzi could only parry the initial attempt.

Western Mail

November 19th

Welsh Premier league trio for under 23 squad

Three Principality Welsh Premier League players have been added to Terry Boyle's Wales Under 23 Squad for Tuesday's International Challenge Trophy match against Finland at Llanelli's Stebonheath Park.

Llanelli AFC provide two of the call-ups in the shape of strikers Mark Pritchard and Jordan Follows, whilst Haverfordwest County defender Craig Hanford has also been added.

The three players to withdraw are Bangor City's Les Davies, who has a hamstring injury following yesterday's defeat to Technogroup Welshpool and Wrexham brothers Mark and Mike Williams.

The squad changes means that there are now fifteen players from the League involved in the eighteen-man squad for Tuesday's match, with just Wrexham's Neil Taylor, Welling Utd's Adam Gross and the unattached Michael Byrne - who looks set to join Forest Green Rovers after he returns from International duty - the only three from outside the League.

The squad assembled at their Llanelli Training-base this lunchtime and had a light training session this afternoon. The Finnish side arrive in London tomorrow morning, before the journey up the M4 to their training base in Cardiff.

Kick-Off at Llanelli on Tuesday evening is 7:45 with tickets available at the Turnstile. There is a real local-theme to the squad because as well as the four Llanelli players involved, the team is Managed by Llanelli-born Terry Boyle and he is assisted by current Llanelli Manager Peter Nicholas and Llanelli-based coach Colin Staples. The team chartered physio is also the Llanelli AFC physio, Chris Miller!

Wales Semi Professional Under 23 Squad

International Challenge Trophy 2007/2009 - WALES v FINLAND

Stebonheath Park, Llanelli, 18th November 2008

Lee IDZI (Haverfordwest County); Chris MAXWELL (Gap Connahâ€s Quay - On loan from Wrexham FC)
Adam GROSS (Welling Utd - On loan from Grays Athletic), Michael JOHNSTON (Bangor City), Stuart JONES (LIanelli AFC), Lee SURMAN (Port Talbot Town), Neil TAYLOR (Wrexham FC), Craig HANFORD (Haverfordwest County), Ross STEPHENS (Technogroup Welshpool), Paul FOWLER (Carmarthen Town), Chris VENABLES (Aberystwyth Town), Michael BYRNE (Unattached), Craig JONES, (Rhyl FC), Craig JONES (Llanelli AFC) Mark PRITCHARD (Llanelli AFC), Jordan FOLLOWS (Llanelli AFC), Jack CHRISTOPHER (Haverfordwest County(, Craig MOSES (Newtown AFC)

November 16th

Steelmen end Rhyl's Unbeaten Record

Rhyl have lost their unbeaten record as Nicky Tucker's Port Talbot Town beat the Lilywhites 3-2 at Belle Vue. In a strange day in the League all of the Top four teams were all trailing at Half-Time, but TNS scored twice in the second-half to beat Carmarthen and Rhys Griffiths scored in the last minute to claim a point for Llanelli at Porthmadog.

Rhyl FC 2-3 Port Talbot Town 
Impressive young Port Talbot striker Drew Fahiya stunned the League leaders at Belle Vue as he became only the fifth person to score passed Lee Kendall in the League this Season. The Steelmen took the lead on 35 minutes and they extended that lead on the stroke of Half-Time as Martin Rose scored to make it 0-2 at the break. Rose made it five in his last two games as he scored his second and Rhyl's third on 62 minutes. Matthew Williams pulled one back with three minutes to go for the hosts and Gareth Owen scored deep into injury time, but it was too little, too late and Rhyl lost their first goal of the Season.

CPD Porthmadog 3-3 Llanelli AFC 
The League's top striker Rhys Griffiths scored the first goal of the day, when he struck on four minutes. Rhys Roberts equalised for the hosts just six minutes later though. The hosts then stunned the Champions when another prolific marksman, Marc Lloyd Williams gave Porth the lead on 18 minutes.

The visitors were level again on 25 minutes though, as Jordon Follows enhanced his growing reputation to make it 2-2. The Reds fell behind again before the interval though as the veteran Lloyd-Williams struck his second on 40 minutes. Porth had their hearts-broken with just a minute remaining when Griffiths had the final say to gain a point.

Carmarthen Town AFC 2-3 The New Saints 
Former Llanelli winger Craig Williams opened the scoring at Richmond Park with a goal on seventeen minutes. But the Old Gold responded to take the lead before the break. Tim Hicks grabbed his fourth of the year on 22 minutes and Paul Fowler gave the hosts the lead on 42 minutes. Alex Darlington equalised for the Saints on the hour. John Toner secured all three points with a goal three minutes from time for the visitors.

Bangor City 0-2 Welshpool Town 
On a Special Family Day at Farrar Road, over 700 people went through the Turnstiles, but Managerless Technogroup Welshpool spoilt the day for the Citizens. In a great start to their post-Tomi Morgan era, Steve Rogers scored after quarter of an hour for the visitors. After the break, midfielder Richard Harris scored the second on 68 minutes, with his second in successive weeks for the Lilywhites.

Aberystwyth Town 2-1 Prestatyn Town 
October's Principality Welsh Premier League Player of the Month Christian Edwards scored the opener on the hour and Luke Sherbon doubled from the spot just two minutes later. Dave Hayes gave the Seasiders some hope with 87 minutes gone.

Haverfordwest County 1-1 Caernarfon Town 
Bottom of the Table Caernarfon Town took a surprise lead at the Bridge Meadow Stadium as Dale Wright beat 'keeper Lee Idzi on 21 minutes. Jack Christopher secured a point for the Bluebirds with an equaliser with just one minute remaining.

Newtown AFC 2-0 Neath
Darren Ryan's Robins grabbed the advantage when Craig Williams converted a penalty on 37 minutes against struggling Neath. Gavin Cadwallader scored the second on 87 minutes for the hosts.

November 16th

Rhyl bounce back to the top

Rhyl moved back to the top of the Welsh Premier tonight with a 2-0 win at Farrar Road against 4th placed Bangor City.

Rhyl scored their goals in the 24th and 28th minutes, Jamie Reed put the Lilywhites 1-0 up, and Neil Roberts getting the 2nd.

Tonight's crowd of 790 was the 3rd highest this season in the welsh premier, but the game will be remembered for other reasons, namely more crowd trouble in which one person was injured.

Rhyl are now unbeaten in their 11 games this season with just 4 goals conceded.

View league table 


November 11th

Nico and Edwards are October's Award Winners

The Principality Building Society Welsh Premier League Manager and Player of the Month Awards for October have been won by Llanelli's Peter Nicholas and Aberystwyth Town's Christian Edwards respectively.

Principality Welsh Premier League Manager of the Month - Peter Nicholas

Llanelli's Peter Nicholas wins his first Award of the Season, having scooped it three times in last year's Championship Winning campaign. The Reds ended the month in familiar surroundings at the top of the League, with three League victories and a very impressive fifteen goals. They began the month with a Welsh Cup win over fellow-Top Flight outfit Neath FC (4-0).

They then won three successive League matches, with a 6-1 triumph over Prestatyn Town at Stebonheath, a 6-2 away success at Newtown's Latham Park, before a 3-2 win over Caernarfon at home. The Reds did slip up in the Loosemores Cup against Port Talbot Town, but the margin of their League wins and regaining Pole Position makes Peter Nicholas a worthy winner.

Principality Welsh Premier League Player of the Month - Christian Edwards

Aberystwyth Town's Christian Edwards has been awarded as the Principality Welsh Premier League Player of the Month for October 2008. The popular centre-back has been a rock at the back for his manager Brian Coyne this season during another successful month for the Seasiders. His defensive partnership with Aneurin Thomas is one of the most experienced and talented in the League, which has been key to the achievements of his side this term.

The one-time capped former Wales International arrived at Park Avenue last January and became an instant hit with the loyal fans of the Black and Greens.

Official WPL website

November 10th


© 2008 Anters & Airbus UK Broughton FC

site stats