Airbus UK Broughton Football Club

 The Wingmakers - Match Report



Airbus UK Broughton 1-0 Haverfordwest - Feb 7th

Airbus turned in a truly dreadful performance to go 4-1 down by the break and although they rescued some self respect in a largely dull second half this is a game hopefully to be consigned to the dustbin of the memory.

Weakened by the loss of the suspended Giovanni Feliciello the 'Bus were exposed down their left flank and straight from the kick-off The Bluebirds strolled down it to plant a cross on the head of Jack Christopher for 0-1. Airbus could have rescued things immediately but George Stewart managed to head over the bar from on the line with nobody near him. Nothing happened after that until twenty minutes had gone & Neil Thomas set off through a slothful defensive line to find Phil Palethorpe wandering about in no-man's land; it was an easy job to round him and score for 0-2. Two minutes later & Gareth Sudlow, making his first start since returning from Caersws, let Jack Christopher in but he shot wide with the goal at his mercy. Then a little glimmer of hope for the home team as George Stewart rattled in a loose ball from the edge of the area (1-2).  Number three wasn't long coming, however, with a truly awful goal that there was no coming back from, an aimless low cross from the right side of the box running straight across the area with the defenders standing around and Phil Palethorpe waiting for one of them to clear; it was a simple job for Paul Michael to steer in at the back post (1-3). 

Just past the half hour mark & Phil Molyneux looked to be brought down by Dylan Blain; referee Kevin Morgan, however, choosing not to sympathise with the inept performance and declining to give the pen. Five minutes before the break and it was 1-4, Neil Thomas helping himself to a second as Airbus obligingly stood around again. Another little chance came just after for Airbus, though, as a scramble took place, the ball cleared as Mark Allen was about to score but at half time it seemed a matter of how many The Bluebirds would help themselves to. Neil Thomas looked to have got his hat trick soon after the restart, left alone at the far post but he could only shoot wide. The 'Bus, however, were to show a lot more composure now and after George Stewart had a run & shot, deflected behind, Mark Allen scored what was to be the only goal of the half, tapping in after lee Idzi had dropped the ball from the corner (2-4). 

Luck could have smiled on them a bit more after that, with Gary Lovell hitting the post from close in after he had set Phil Molyneux away for a shot & parry, the ball ricocheting off a defender & out. Then there was a disallowed goal for offside that must have been close. Nonetheless at least they produced a face-saving job and the fears of a right hammering weren't fulfilled, although a bit of the right kind of luck did come their way in stoppage time, sub Nicky Woodrow hitting the post when all alone after a charge from the half-way line, the 'Bus caught alarmingly in a two-against-Matty Cook situation when pressing forward.

Airbus line up:
Phil Palethorpe, Ryan Edwards, Gary Lovell, Gareth Sudlow, Mark Allen, Ashley Williams, Matty Cook
Danny Desormeaux, Phil Molyneux, Mark Head, George Stewart.

Mark Cadwallader, Tom Rowlands, Jonathan Slater.

Attendance: 108

Match report by Dave Seargeant


© 2008 Anters & Airbus UK Broughton FC -

site stats