Airbus UK Broughton Football Club

 The Wingmakers - Match Report



Caersws 1-3 Wingmakers

Surely the 'Bus couldn't lose to a team of Airbus rejects sporting five ex-Blues with one on the bench and another injured? Well, so it came to pass but not without a scare on the way and a tedious first half that had both sides scared of making mistakes. 

There was a cagey opening, not much happening, with pride at stake and nobody wanting to take a chance. The Bluebirds had the first though, ex-Bus Dave 'Chesney' Hughes having a dangerous header over on 12'. An Airbus goal seemed certain after 18', as Mark Allen stabbed in from a couple of yards out but it shot wide of the far post. 

Almost half an hour gone and that was about it, the pre-match beer kicking in & a danger of falling asleep. The match briefly burst into life nine minutes before the interval, Ryan Edwards uncharacteristically losing the ball, Stewart White, looking livelier than he ever did at The Airfield, taking it on to unleash a goalbound drive, marvellously tipped away for a corner by Phil Palethorpe. 

Half time was reached and it was possession-wise all Airbus, up to the final third when they became totally ineffective. The game as a whole was extremely dull.   It mercifully got better, almost immediately but it was Caersws who came out fired up, Aeron Edwards getting forward but shooting wide in the first minute and Chesney missing an open goal with a header after 51'. Airbus were having none of this business and stepped up a gear themselves, Danny Desormeaux giving a foretaste of what was to come, getting on the end of a swinging cross from Giovanni Feliciello, bulleting his header wide of the goal (53'). What was to come was a minute later, Dessie sending a delightful chip over the bulk of ex-Wingmaker Andy Hughes (brother Steve was the injured one & Steve Futcher was off the bench early on) for 1-0. Five minutes after that and Airbus appeared to have it all wrapped up. James McIntosh brilliantly worked the ball at the edge of the box to pass to Desormeaux who showed a delicious touch to make space and stab it in for 2-0.

Caersws tried to come back into it, pushed on by former Broughton stalwarts Steve Hopkins, skippering the Bluebirds, and Gareth Sudlow from the back and a free header was touched out for a corner by Palethorpe just after. Airbus were now well on top, however, looking for more. Tom Rowlands did the work for Dessie to shoot an inch wide of the near post on 66' but suddenly The Bluebirds got a lifeline. After White had a shot just wide, Palethorpe was penalised for bringing the forward down, saving Hoppo's penalty but unable to stop the rebound (73'). He made up for it by clutching a dangerous header with great competence on 82' and then three minutes before the end it was relief all round as Andy Hughes (we won't say anything bad about him, he's too big for a start) messed up just outside the area, Rollo nipped in, mopped up and curled a wonder into the top corner for the wrap. The elusive first hat-trick was almost served up a minute into stoppage time, Desormeaux just an inch wide with a delicate effort.

Dave 'The Fan' Sargent 

CAERSWS: A Hughes, J Jones (Futcher 12), Hopkins, Sudlow, Williams (Cookson 33), G Jones, D Hughes, Edwards, C Melia, White, Davies. Subs: Prodger, Williams.

BOOKED: Hopkins, Edwards.

GOAL: Hopkins 74.

AIRBUS: Palethorpe, Edwards, Feliciello, Woodward, J Rowlands (Davies 63), Allen, Williams, Desormeaux, Molyneux (T Rowlands 63), McIntosh, Cook (Cadwallader 75).

BOOKED: Williams, Palethorpe, Allen, Feliciello.

GOALS: Desormeaux 55, 60, T Rowlands 87.


Report by Dave 'The Fan' Sargent.


© 2008 Anters & Airbus UK Broughton FC -

site stats